Recently CrossFit SouthBay posted an article entitled “10 Ways To Be A Better CrossFitter“. It’s a fantastic post that I agree with 100%. Here is a partial list of some things I came up with along the same lines (I’ll put up the other 5 to make it an even 10 tomorrow).
- Show up ready to give everything you’ve got no matter what. If you come to the gym today simply because that’s what you did yesterday, you’re wasting your time. Pushing hard is nice, but if you’re going for a PR you have to do more than just push hard.
- Don’t make excuses. Everyone has something that hurts – a torn callus, a sore muscle (or lots of them), a tweaked shoulder… If you have a legitimate injury then we can work around it and get you stronger. If not, suck it up and get to work. In CrossFit (as in life) you can either have excuses or results – not both.
- Practice the movements like you’re doing them for real. Simply going through the motions is boring and doesn’t yield any benefit at all. Practice frequently and practice hard. Like my dad says, “Perfect practice makes perfect.” I would finish that with the opposite, “Crappy practice makes crap.”
- Nail the fundamentals. If your fundamentals are strong, everything else will be too. If you’re having problems with your cleans, you can fix them easily by going back to the fundamentals. Don’t be afraid to take a few steps back to fix it once and for all. If your car has a flat tire, ignoring it won’t improve your gas mileage.
- Eat right and eat well. The advantage you get from eating well is so intense it could almost be considered cheating. Eating right may not turn you into a fire breather, but I can assure you that you will never become one if you don’t.
Push Press 3-2-1-1-1
As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:
10 Ball Slams
10 Box Jumps